Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Joy of Priesthood, Joy of Friendship


I have been studying at the Seminary for almost three years now, and my studies have almost come to an end. People ask how much have you learned but I am inclined to say that one should never quantify the knowledge. I have started my studies with many questions about Christ and human nature and I am leaving with more questions about Christ and human nature. Only this time I am faced with questions of the complex variety. In here, it isn’t my own intellectual and spiritual journey, which I wish to write about. It is a journey of others. It is a journey of the seminarians that I’ve had the privilege to meet, spend time with and what’s more, become friends. Yes, I see great virtue and love in the friendships that I have developed with these courageous men.

The seminarians at the Christ the King Seminary represent a definition of what it means to be a unique human being. Some are young—experiencing the Catholic faith in one stage of their youth, wondering what’s around the corner. Some are older—having lived another life altogether and now find themselves entering the sacred path of becoming a priest. But no matter what their chronological age, the seminarians at the Christ the King are understanding the holiness and significance of what it means to become and be a priest. Their love for humanity is in perfect harmony with the sense of wonder that is clearly part of their lives.

Catholic Church and the meaning of the priesthood have been highly criticized from many different intellectual directions, mainly secular. It is my belief that the meaning of priesthood has been misunderstood. Pope Benedict XVI writes that “the relation of voice (vox) to word (verbum) helps to make clear the mutual relationship between Christ and the priest. The word exists in someone’s heart before it is even perceptible to the senses through the voice.” This is most certainly true of the seminarians. It is beautiful to see an ever-present joy in their faces. It is beautiful to truly know that their hearts are on fire and the flame is that of God.

Benedict also writes that “the priest is, like John the Baptist, purely a forerunner; a servant of the Word. And yet, the priest also takes a share in the mission of the Logos himself.” Truth is what matters. Truth is what remains, even after we are all gone. The task, if you will, of the priest is to surrender to God, give Him his voice and be that voice for the Word. This does not mean that the priest ever loses his individuality or uniqueness. It does mean that the priest must strive to practice discipline and humility. Only through this surrender to God will he be free. The encounter and the dialogue can then take place. I admire the courage of my friends to answer God’s call. Naturally, once the call is answered many other stages of faith take place, with (I am certain) many questions and perhaps doubts. But, to answer the persistent knock on the door is what gives meaning to our lives.

I am grateful to God for showing me the way to the Seminary. I am honored to be a witness to a journey, which for my friends, means giving it all up and following Christ. They have recognized their own gifts and they understand the seriousness and significance of priesthood. They have answered the call.

No comments: