Universities
need to stop taking care of students and begin educating them.
We
know by now that higher education is in a complete state of disarray.
Disarray may be too weak a word. It is in chaos. There are many
reasons for it – ideology, increased enrollment (particularly of
those students who do not belong in college), deconstruction of the
humanities – and here is another: extreme focus on students'
well being.
In
a recent article, published by Chronicle of Higher Eduction,
Catherine Savini claims that we need to pay more attention to
students' mental health. She charts her own journey as a writing and
composition instructor, who at the beginning was rightfully irritated
by students' lack of responsibility, tardiness, not paying attention
in class, and similar behaviors. But now, after spending time
communicating with students, she found out that they are suffering
from a wide array of mental maladies, one of them primarily being
anxiety. The anxiety is the grand cause of why, for example, a
student may leave the class abruptly, or why he is using earbuds and
presumably listening to music during the class. Here are some
examples from her article:
If a student is late, we might assume he doesn’t respect our time, and every time he is late, our judgment is confirmed. But if we gather more data, we might discover that the latecomer has OCD and struggles to get out of the house. Of course, the student could just be inconsiderate or a slacker, but we don’t know unless we seek out more information.
Or this:
I
decided to take the information-seeking route. "So, tell me
about the ear buds," I asked one day, and the story of this
18-year-old’s struggles emerged: He had been in multiple car
accidents; he is on pain medication but has trouble sleeping and
staying focused; the background noise of the music helps him
to concentrate. People with ADHD confirm this: They need
something in the background to crystallize their attention on the
foreground.
Or this:
As for the student who walked out midclass, I invited her to my office where I learned that she had left because of a panic attack. After a short conversation, I was satisfied that she had the necessary mental- health support, but when I asked about her other courses, she told me she was at risk of failing due to excessive absences. "Easy solution," I said. "Communicate with these professors."
To be sure, there are students who genuinely suffer from mental illness, and they need to be addressed. But is the classroom and is the instructor of writing truly responsible for that? My answer is no.
I
teach composition, while I am also receiving my PhD. I absolutely
love teaching. As much as I have a deep insight into people's
behaviors and nature, I am not hired
to be an expert on
mental disorders, and therefore I do not think that I should be
approaching my students from that perspective.
First
and foremost, I am there to teach them how to write, how to become
better thinkers, and how to effectively communicate with each other
and the rest of the world. Of course, I do not leave my
compassionate self at the door
the instant I enter
into the classroom. I am fully aware of my students' idiosyncrasies,
as well each students' academic
needs.
I
had students talk to me about their personal struggles, and I am more
than happy to listen to them, and help in any way I can. Sometimes,
just listening is enough for them to not to feel invisible. Speaking
as someone who was an extremely anxious student, I can understand the
intimidation and fear that manifests itself when we enter new
environments. Not being blind to that is one of the tasks of
teaching.
However,
what I object to is that extreme focus on mental well being
(something the students are responsible for themselves) should take
precedence over actual material and the purpose of college education.
By nature, I am not a cynic, and I tend to believe that, for the
most part, people can change and get better. But I am also not a
fool. The fact is that students, mostly, will use “disorders” as
an excuse to not do the work. If the basics of the classroom decorum
and class responsibilities are not met, then there will be no
possible way in addressing the expected
outcomes of the course.
Why
is this happening? Teachers are more and more forcefully
“encouraged” to be nurturers in the classroom. Call it
feminization of higher education. Everyone feels
and yet nobody really knows
what emotions are because there is such a thing as “the
intelligence of emotions,” as Martha Nussbaum wrote. Many women
that are in the field of teaching are either unmarried or perhaps
have partners but do not have children. The desire of motherhood is
transposed onto the students and the female teacher will want to take
care of them. This, in turn, will be quite taxing on the teacher and
the only mental disorder that will be born (but will be unnoticeable)
is Student Fatigue Syndrome. Something's gotta give.
If
the government is the Big Brother, then university is the Big Mother.
Education is already in dire straits, and we are getting to the
point where the best option is to destroy the currently presiding
beast and build a new environment. Being a nurturer who insists on
telling students “good job” every single time they complete the
simplest of tasks and not an educator invested in helping students
achieve their academic goals is not a recipe for success. And the
questions are: what are we shaping today's youth into, and what kind
of future should we expect?

2 comments:
Excellent analysis, and I suspect much of your observation and comment is the result of intuitive knowledge... something I think we used to call common sense. Is it too much to ask that a student come prepared to learn?
Thanks, Wayne. Yes, absolutely part of my experience. We can't be lowering the standards. Pretty soon, the mere fact that they showed up will get them an A. Well, not in my class, I can tell you that.
Post a Comment