Saturday, May 7, 2016

Singular Moments


Finding God in all things. Is it possible?



For those of us who are fortunate to live in a world where daily life can become tedious, there should be a large importance placed on one's spiritual life. I have to find a way to incorporate spiritual balance into the unfortunate and inevitable dreariness of daily life.

There will always be something pulling at me, which depletes my being and passion. And so, instead of constant complaining and blaming the rest of the world for my problems (which by the way, totally fatigues me!), it is up to me to get disciplined and do some actual work in the realm of the spirit.

What does this mean? Philosophically, it means to not look at chores as chores but rather as tasks that might provide an opening to a better self-understanding through self-examination. In this case, Ignatian spiritual maxim - “Finding God in all things” - is absolutely true.

Easier said than done. Please don't tell me that I am going to find God in vacuuming! Well, no, not unless God for you is some form of ectoplasm that might escape the vacuum once you collect it.

Finding God in all things” is not a cute and overly emotional phrase. It is not a “happy place.” It requires focus and undivided attention to the task at hand, which means that I have to be aware of the present moment.

This Igantian phrase also does not signify that suddenly I will be some ethereal, floating, and sagacious spirit. On the contrary, to be in the present moment in doing whatever task that I am engaging in, implies a concrete sense of my embodiment. Because I deeply engage (whether it's in contemplation or action), I affirm the relationship of mind-body-soul and I am less fragmented. Less fragmentation leads to less scattering of thought, and less scattering of mind leads to less scattering of task execution.

I have difficulties facing the hours because, for the most part, they are filled with anxiety that always somehow leads to acedia. But I do find, from my limited experience, that once I resolve to become more disciplined in my actions and once I question each motive of my action (not neurotically, mind you!), the task which I am engaging has a better chance to become an opening for my imagination, and not an imprisonment of my own neurosis.

Of course, I still have to find some semblance of balance in my mind so that tasks do not become empty routine, and render me a simple automaton that never examines her life. If each day ought to be different, then each task (even if it involves the same action, such as doing laundry) will be different.

For example, praying five times a day or praying in the Church, I may be uttering the same prayer every time. But those same words will have a different meaning each moment because each breath and each hour will ideally bring renewal to me.

There are times when forces outside of my control conspire and I have a really, and I mean, really bad day. This is normal. And let's face it, people can be real jerks. As Seinfeld said, “People! They're the worst!” Or when Charles Schulz said: "I like mankind.  It's the people I can't stand." But when it comes to the development of my spiritual life (which is inextricably linked to my moral life), it is up to me to let go, have faith, and cultivate discipline every day.

I will admit that I fail. But I usually try again. And again. And again. And the moments are singular.

3 comments:

Mayrock said...

Not really an on-topic comment, but I like the revamped look of the site. The sidebar with the mini bios and quotes is a nice touch. Good to see you blogging again, by the way!

-- Mayrock

Emina Melonic said...

Thanks! I am mixed on blogging, but I wanted to change the website, so I thought I'd continue. I will be adding more stuff, like videos and such on the sidebar. I've been also more active on Twitter.
Hope you're doing well!

Mayrock said...

Yeah, I've had your blogs bookmarked, but I found out about this latest post from your Twitter feed.

I'm much the same about blogging; not as ambivalent, but my posting isn't exactly prolific. I only post in a blue moon when I feel like it. Twitter, however, is what I can only take in doses of late. I'm getting fed up with the typical election year vitriol, partisan tribal signaling, etc. There also seems to be a really weird and hysteric "apocalyptic" vibe out there right now that's getting a bit tiresome.