For years now, I have been struggling
to say something meaningful about my life.
I have hundreds of pages of written notes, paragraphs, musings, and
frustrations. Since I usually write
about my war experiences in jerky spurts, I often forget what I wrote. I am too lazy or afraid or ambivalent to go
back to the words already written and to shape them into something, which might
in the end resemble a book, or even a story.
Heck, I would even settle for a clear and concise and deep
paragraph. This appears to be a willful
and perversely proud refusal to read through what has already been written and
my thin skinned narcissism of a “budding artist” can’t take the obvious linguistic
imperfections. I begin over and over
again.
A writer, they say, does not need a reason to write. If you are a writer in your soul, then you
will be a writer. Well, there is some
truth to that. One is creating something
essentially “useless,” whose non-existent “applicability” is always present. I struggle with that notion.
There are many instances when you begin
to write something, and you truly have no idea where it came from. The proverbial muse has visited you and you
are glad it did. For a brief moment, you
also enjoyed putting letters together.
But a writer still needs a reason. The reason should not be practical, in my
opinion, as in “making money.” A writer
still has to have a goal. The vision has
to incorporate small strands that connect the project, which has a clear
beginning, middle, and end. These don’t
necessarily have to come in that order. A
writer should be open to different styles and voices which emerge through
writing. But, it seems to me (as I
struggle to write) that there has to be something (even if it’s elusive) that
keeps you going, otherwise you will give up though the process. Not an ideology or a cause or even something
as good as faith or peace or love, but an open curiosity about what it means to
be a human being. In all its honesty and
authenticity, sacredness and profanity.
For example, writing about war, since
that has been constantly on my mind. I
have to ask myself why should I write about it?
Is there something I am trying to say?
Through my encounters with people, I have always received a question or
a statement: “you are writing about
what you have lived through, right?”
I remember sitting in an office of
professor Richard Strier at the University of Chicago who was my academic
advisor. After he stated this
non-question question, I looked at him like a small child who has to give the
right answer to a teacher. “Yes, yes,” I
said. But my look betrayed me. The cover, I am sure was blown because my
face clearly said, “No, no.”
What I am trying to say is that encouragements
are needed and welcomed but if I don’t make some kind of resolution in myself
and act, no amount of support will
move the engine of mind and heart. In
other words, I have to do my part. I
certainly have been trying but something is not working out.
I think that it is far better to remain
in silence than write something, which clearly does not come from the place
that is distinctly you. I am suddenly reminded
of Wittgenstein’s analytic mysticism when he wrote in Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, “What we cannot speak of we must
pass in silence.” It is better, it seems
to me, to be patient in the waiting.
Writing about the war and genocide and remembering
the dead whose faces I see every day must be taken seriously. It is an act of sacred memory. The inexpressible nature of evil can be
expressed only partially. Given the fact
that today we live in a world, which employs and believes in a dangerous fantasy
of non-existence of evil, there is even a bigger pull to speak the
unspeakable. But it cannot be
rushed. Just like falling in love and
knowing that, without a doubt, this is the person you want to spend the rest of
your life with.
In his essay, “The Lonely Man of Faith,”
Joseph Solovietchik states that the reason for writing that essay is not to
solve existential problems. He knows the
limitations of man, particularly in expressing the unexpressible. What he wants, he says is “to follow the
advice given by Elihu, the son of Berachel of old, who said, ‘I will speak that
I may find relief’; for there is a redemptive quality for an agitated mind in
the spoken word, and a tormented soul finds peace in confessing.”
3 comments:
Emina, I though of this when I read your post -Brad
Ars Poetica
BY ARCHIBALD MACLEISH
A poem should be palpable and mute
As a globed fruit,
Dumb
As old medallions to the thumb,
Silent as the sleeve-worn stone
Of casement ledges where the moss has grown—
A poem should be wordless
As the flight of birds.
*
A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs,
Leaving, as the moon releases
Twig by twig the night-entangled trees,
Leaving, as the moon behind the winter leaves,
Memory by memory the mind—
A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs.
*
A poem should be equal to:
Not true.
For all the history of grief
An empty doorway and a maple leaf.
For love
The leaning grasses and two lights above the sea—
A poem should not mean
But be.
A few weeks ago a you commented on a post of mine. Then a friend and I talked about St. Augustine and evil: the perversion of the good. Evil as nothingness, I suggested. I thought later that you probably could have challenged these definitions of evil. Because of your experience in Bosnia and refugee camps. (BTW, the facts that you have written about - since Americans like me are so ignorant - have been "enlightening" (maybe "endarkening" is better considered the subject). Maybe a narrative (even fiction) of such events would be better than a mighty interpretation of them. A memory, like Weisel. A history. Have you tried art, colors or lack of color? I have posted some of the artist, Anselm Kiefer, German artist. He started his auspicious career with his Occupations. Photos of him giving the Nazi salute in front of auspicious Nazi buildings and then by the sea. What would an Occupation look like for you? Something flippant, fuck-off like? I hate for you to get too Occupied, though, since you have academic commitments. I don't know; I know little about writing. I like inspiration though. Kierkegaard in Berlin inspired by the love his self-broken engagement inflamed! Go figure! I'm rambling. Steven Barrett
Lovely. Yes. I agree. Thank yuou for this!
Post a Comment