Thursday, June 23, 2016

Elon Musk's "Reality"

In a recent interview, co-founder of Tesla Motors (among other things) Elon Musk, said that "the odds that we're in base reality are is one in billions."  I am still not clear what he actually means on "base" reality - I assume he is talking about physical reality?  Material reality?

Apparently, everything is a simulation.  Nothing is real.  Musk goes on to say the following:

"Arguably we should hope that that’s true, because if civilization stops advancing, that may be due to some calamitous event that erases civilization. So maybe we should be hopeful this is a simulation, because otherwise we are going to create simulations indistinguishable from reality or civilization ceases to exist. We’re unlikely to go into some multimillion-year stasis.”

This can't even be called an argument, but let's forget that for a minute.  I am always more interested in people's motivations and intents when they say something.  

Musk is the ultimate anti-sensualist, an anti-phenomenologist.  And if you are anti-sensualist, then, most certainly, you are incapable of experiencing the reality as it is.  His position on this, in my opinion, totally reflects his metaphysical status: one of the denial of anything concrete.  Even if you look at the fact that he designed an electric car, you will see that there is a push toward disembodiment.  I don't have an issue with creating an electric car - they've been in existence for a long time now.  But I do have a problem with people like Musk who thrust these technologies on us with the intent to destroy a driver's experience in a gas powered car.  I want to feel the engine when I hit the gas, I want to hear it roar, thank you very much. 

But let's get back to this whole concept of simulation.  If indeed nothing is real, then Elon Musk is not real either, and we don't have to listen to him.  What we are hearing is not real, and so it does not matter one bit.  

Such a claim as he is making implies many philosophical problems.  First, it denies good and evil.  If everything is a simulation, then we are not called to be ethical.  What is the point?  War, poverty, famine - it's all simulated, so who cares if our fellow human beings are dying?

Secondly (and this is a big one!), assertion of simulated world is a fear of one's mortality.  By saying this, Musk is revealing (probably unintentionally) that a greater mystery than ourselves does not exist and that that we have power over death.  Good luck with that one.

Thirdly, simulated universe/reality is the ultimate denial of history, of memory both individual and collective.  Human condition and human suffering is very real indeed.  We exhibit courage and fear and anger and joy throughout our lives, and they have an impact on both the individual and the community.

Musk is not alone in this.  There are many "philosophers" (particularly in the branch of analytic thought) who are basically geeking out and intellectually masturbating to these topics.  It makes them feel like they are in control of the universe, they are little "gods," who know better than the "little man" that clings to the idea of God.

I think that Musk has seen The Matrix too many times.  I actually do find the topic of simulation interesting, and I have enjoyed The Matrix films.  However, the reason The Matrix is so compelling is precisely because it works as an allegory.  It is a story of suffering, oppression, heroism, salvation, sacrifice.  And these are all very human and very real indeed.



No comments: