Friday, August 1, 2014

Whine and Cheese Soiree

Some of these cheeses are probably smelly!   
I can't believe that it has been more than a month since I have published a post.  I can't seem to get out of a depressive funk and no words are formed as a result.  I sit down, I turn on my computer and there it is, a blank screen.  I even tried using a typewriter, thinking it might slow my mind down, but that's not working either.  

How about sitting in the sun and having some kind of illumination hit me over my head, a spiritual, illuminative "coulda had a V8" moment, but no, alas, no illumination despite the fact that my blog bears that name. 

I have even tried channeling one of my favorites - Papa H - but somehow the athletic prose I am attempting to write sounds more like post-modern gibberish, and you have to understand - I am neither a gibbering fool nor a po-mo freak.  I am quite straightforward, so a straightforwardness in words should work, right? 

They say that the best way to work is lose yourself in the work.  Sure, sounds great!  But I am like that proverbial centipede who is so concerned in how to walk that she forgets to actually walk.  Oh my Gawd, so much self-consciousness that it makes Woody Allen's neuroticism seem like a perfectly healthy condition.  

This self-awareness is really not working.  The more you are self-aware, the more you are losing yourself in your self-awareness and then, guess what? - you are not aware of anything at all.  

So, I better stop and not say anything at all.  And I hope to be back soon.  Maybe an "illumination mallet" (preferably made of rubber) will hit me over the head and something will be released. I have resigned myself to a deus-ex-machina, so there better be some kind of machina, darn it!  In the meantime, I'll try not to engage in Shakespearean and Sturm-und-Drang-ian whining.  :-)   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of God from the machine (and somewhat on topic) I'm reading an interesting book at the moment about the meaning and struggles of work titled, Every Good Endeavor. It's from Tim Keller (and therefore from a Christian perspective) so machina mileage may vary. Thought I'd pass it along as I'm gleaning many insights from it in my own struggles, and perhaps you can also find some nuggets there as you power through your midsummer Bergmanian ennui.

Speaking of spiritual insight -- and kind of in the deus-ex-machina vein -- here's hoping and praying you have a spiritual breakthrough in your work in the Tolkien Eucatastrophe sense.

In any event, I hope that, despite being stuck in the interminably sturm and drangy, Kafka Prague airport of the summer doldrums, everything else is well with you. ;)

-- Mayrock

Emina Melonic said...

Mayrock!! My friend, how are you? It has been too long. Thanks for being a faithful reader, I gotta say, you have stamina and patience to do that. :-) I must check out this work you mention. And now I really have to check out what you mean by Euchatastrophe!

Las Mayanas said...

We know that illumination can't be rushed... meanwhile we'll see what's on the whine and cheese tray. Post-modern gibberish or not, we enjoy reading it.