Ever since the Election Day, my mind is unable to shut itself, or to calm itself. First of all, I should say that for me this was a first time voting (I became an American citizen in 2003) and the act in itself was quite exciting and extraordinary. Just to be able to participate in this process was good, knowing that a particular country recognizes you as a citizen that belongs.
I supported McCain/Palin ticket, so naturally I am quite disappointed with the outcome. I could not vote for Barack Obama because I disagree with him fundamentally. For the last few days, I have been also reading articles in various newspapers, magazines, online, etc. I certainly do not want to repeat what others have been writing but I have to voice great concerns.
I cannot support Barack Obama mainly because of his extreme abortion and partial-birth abortion stance (among other issues, which I will discuss in later blogs). I don’t know where can a country go when there is no recognition of human dignity and a voiceless child who cannot defend him/herself. This also includes a stunning speed at which science and technology is moving and it is clear that morality and ethics are somehow not connected to the development of science. I am talking about respect for life—it is that simple.
Let me look at Barack Obama’s acceptance speech. This was a repetition of pretty much what he was saying/promising during his campaign. Also, the rhetoric was quite similar (if not the same) to former presidents, whether it be JFK or Richard Nixon. Is Obama merely parroting rhetoric already used? A few criticisms (which should have been asked by every American):
1. How can gay/straight be the same as Democrat/Republican? And why are we all lumped in one group?
2. Change We Need. Change to what? Change for what? What are the specifics?
3. Yes We Can. Can what?
4. We Will Get There. Get where? Where exactly are we going?
I don’t think that most Americans even understand what change really means…is it moral or immoral or even amoral? I was also disturbed by the repetition of Obama self-proclaimed “creed,” “Yes We Can.” At some point, people kept repeating the “creed” along with him, gazing at him with wonder and worst of all, worship. One cannot deny the messianic qualities of the whole situation, and I didn’t like the glazed eyes, as if there is no thought, no questioning. It is one thing to be truly inspired by someone’s words (only if they are authentic) but another to be swayed by empty rhetoric. People are truly suffering from “historical amnesia,” as one writer noted recently.
So now what? Let us be clear and most of all, relevant in our criticisms and/or support no matter whose positions are we writing about. Let us be reasonable, responsible and intelligent, as Bernard Lonergan wrote, as we find the most appropriate forums in which we are able to give our concerns clear voices.
No comments:
Post a Comment