The news, for the most part, is so goddamn depressing. Scratch that - not for the most part, it always is. I was ready to get a good rant out, namely about the fact that the world is a fucked up disaster, and that it isn't easy being a Muslim in America, and that people see what they want to see, and that no matter how hard you try to explain to the rest of the world that you are a normal Muslim, those who made up their minds, will not listen. Can you blame me for wanting to go crazy? Grrrr....
But then, on Twitter, I saw a trailer for Masterclass with writer James Patterson. A quick little video about some advice from one writer to the other.
Writing...haven't done much of it lately. I mean, real, honest writing, where you are imaginative and open minded and open hearted and aggressive and crazy and scared. None of this latest opinion writing, where everyone is an expert on everything. I'm talking about writing that has the potential to endure and challenge and ask some important questions about our nature.
Somehow (and this is where internetado approach really works in your favor), I ended up finding two videos: two conversations between two writers. Stephen King and Lee Child, and Stephen King and John Grisham. As I listened to their stories about stories, I kid you not, my need for rant slowly began to melt away. The reality of terrorism is still there - no shit! - but suddenly, I felt like I should contribute something else to the day and to the grand and big reality of world wide web. Something else, other than anger (however rightful it may be).
The writerly conversations are funny and genuine and deeply honest. To see a writer speak honestly about his craft and difficulties in executing it, calling out good ideas and bad ideas, without a hint of self-importance is an inspiration. (For the record, I can't stand when writers talk about writing as if it's magical and they are on this mythical mountain surrounded by gods and whatnot and Greek choruses, and it is a secret world and place, and none of us mortals will ever know the beauty of talking to a muse. Please!).
I know, word inspiration sounds very touchy feely, but wait - to be inspired means to make a move toward the creation rather than destruction. How is writing then not a remedy against terrorism? It is, because we are saying implicitly that we as humans are better than a self-loathing, insecure terrorist. We are better because we tell stories and look deeply into the heart of darkness and heart of light and because we know that we have the potential to be better human beings.
If you wish to watch them, I include the videos here. Start watching the John Grisham conversation 12 minutes or so later, because those first 12 minutes are filled with people introducing people who introduce people who introduce John Grisham and Stephen King.

2 comments:
Speaking of your remarks regarding cell phones at the beginning, something King said in that interview with Lee Child really stuck with me: he calls cell phones the "slave bracelets of the 21st century." So very true! I've actually been stubbornly luddite about the whole phone thing -- doggedly refusing to jump on the smartphone bandwagon. I'm sticking with a no-frills flip phone. I'm actually considering the possibility of regressing even further and going back to only a landline. I hate the phone as a rule. My eschewing of smartphones in particular is a big middle finger to the expanding surveillance state.
The thing I have no use for is the outrage-porn aspect of news. Most news seems geared to get people pissed-off and set factions against one another -- everyone jumping on the latest tragedy, political scandal, etc. to shout at and heap scorn on the other tribe. I find myself taking longer breaks from Twitter of late because of it. The worst though are the Maudlin-o-thons that happen on social media whenever some high profile celebrity dies. ;) I hate that crap.
I know what you mean about some writers (and artists in general) who tend to get stuck in a pretentious pose when discussing their work. You see none of that in the Child/King video. They both seem like completely unaffected, down-to-earth guys. I don't think I'd actually ever seen King in an interview before. He's a genuinely cool dude. I love his dry New England/Yankee humor.
You know, I was discussing this with another friend recently who is an aspiring writer, and I was noting how inspiring Lee Child's story is. The guy didn't start writing till he was about forty. I kind of wonder if being a late-bloomer for a writer is actually a much better thing in the long run. Such a person has seen a bit of life, and would filter that experience and wisdom, naturally, into their writing. I think it's in that video that Child mentions he considers his best attribute the fact that he's a voracious reader -- and has built up a deep knowledge of stories and recurring motifs in fiction from many years of reading up until now. I think it really shows in his work. He writes with very elegant economy (and realism) in my view. His books are beautifully plotted as well.
I am getting incredibly tired from everyone's complaining and false compassion. And if you don't show that you care, then obviously, you are an eeeeevil person. It's ridiculous. We just have to try to stay away from all this nonsense.
As for cell phones, I hear ya! What do you do?
Post a Comment