![]() | |
| A page from Sarajevo Haggadah. |
A few years ago, when I
was still taking classes at the Seminary, I registered for a course in Synoptic
Gospels. It was part of the requirement
for the MA in Theology. At that point in
my academic career, and specifically in relation to theology, I was more
intrigued by Systematic theology, as well as Christian spirituality.
In any case, I registered
for the course, and I was talking to my husband about it. I proclaimed in a voice, which may have been slightly nerdy: “I get to
write an exegetical paper in Synoptics!”
I was very excited. My husband
lovingly poked fun at me, quoting me on it, slightly exaggerating my nerdy
voice, and pushing the imaginary glasses up his nose. It’s one of those things, which has remained
a constant joke in our household every time I get excited about some
intellectual work, particularly textual analysis.
Here I am, working on my
PhD in Comparative Literature, and God willing, if it all goes well, this will
be my fifth degree. I’m not going to go
through the list of my degrees – see the bio to the right.
I had wondered over the
years whether I have made the right moves by getting all these degrees. Have I steered in the wrong direction? Why in the world have I been working on so
many degrees? Shouldn’t I have just
quite after the first MA? And all these
disciplines – are they even interlinked?
It does not help either
that one has moments of absolute self-loathing.
Given this, you end up dismissing work which you have done. “Oh, it was easy! There’s nothing to it. And now, it’s all useless! What can someone
possibly do with this in real life
with all this accumulated knowledge?”
And on and on and on…
Lately, however, I have
been taking a more loving approach to myself and my studies. My husband has repeatedly told me that
self-loathing will get you nowhere, particularly when you have so many
intellectual and personal gifts. He has
been my supporter all these years. But you
also have to get to that point where you, yourself, begin to see who you are,
what is emerging, what kind of person is being formed, and more than anything –
that the person you are is really not a bad person!
Yesterday, I found myself
at the Seminary library, working on my thesis, getting closer to finishing
it. I was looking for primary sources of
Biblical commentaries and letters by Anselm and Bernard of Clairvaux. There they were – Opera omnia (doesn’t that just sound so good and exciting?!), and I
began sifting through them to find paragraphs in Latin, which corresponded to
the English translations. It certainly
helped to know enough Latin!
It was like being part of
some dig – unearthing history, which will always be part of us, no matter how
much time passes. Now, I know that probably
for most people, these linguistic comparisons don’t mean much. But being part of history in such a way, as I
touched volumes and volumes of commentaries, I felt happiness. Real happiness that I am engaging myself with
these sources and trying to make sense of it and trying to make a small
contribution to the interpretation of these wondrous texts.
I have always loved
languages and learning new languages always came easy to me. For my doctorate, I will be working on the
Song of Songs, and soon, I will be learning Hebrew. In plans also is to learn Arabic and expand
my knowledge of Qur’anic exegesis. At
some point, I looked at copy of a medieval Jewish commentary on the Song of
Songs. The book itself also had a list
of commentaries that were written over the ages. I always knew that the Song is sacred but
something more happened when I looked at the list. I thought, I am in the presence of something
far bigger than me – this Song of Songs is as elusive and ineffable as God
himself, and the text cannot be violated (not that I ever intended that, but
you get my point).
Just when I thought that
things are falling apart and that I have made huge mistakes in obtaining all these
degrees, something happened, something clicked in your mind and heart and you
know, without having an ability to explain it properly, that what you are doing
is right. Look at all these strands
connecting, you think to yourself. All
of my academic career, I have been concerned with dialogism in texts, and by
association, dialogism among peoples.
For me, this is not just
about quiet scholarly work, however important that is. This is about a creation of a far more important
dialogue – one, which acknowledges our differences and yet brings us closer to
one another. It is a creation of dialogue
through language and through the metaphysics of text.
And so, I realize that is
not just about academic “career.” This
is about life itself. It’s not about “usefulness”
or “uselessness” of intellectual efforts.
The efforts have to be grounded in the reality of human relations,
always! Books are ways for us to
discuss, agree, or disagree but most of all, to be on the path of an encounter.
The reason hours I spent at the library
brought me happiness was not because I was just trying to solve some textual
mystery but that I am connecting and synthesizing texts that come from many
different traditions – and let us not forget, traditions are not simply concepts. They are visible in the human face.

2 comments:
Yes. That is all I can muster so far, but I am so glad you are putting a face to ideas and history worth preserving and sharing, and not forgetting.
Memory is so important and how we engage in it. :-) thanks for your thoughts my friend.
Post a Comment