Usually I am pretty good
at insights and epiphanies. I have them
almost on a daily basis. And not just
one, mind you. Usually they happen in
the morning, as I drink my Turkish coffee.
My brain must be waking up and gearing with hope and optimism for the
day I am about to face. So it seems only
natural that I will have an
insight.
Having an epiphany (and I will use insight and epiphany interchangeably)
is a great feeling. I am sure you know
it: it is like a happy drug which makes you move in a spiral that is connected
to the great consciousness of the Universe.
I am not trying to be cynical, Scout’s honor (or in my case Tito’s
Pioneer’s Honor) because sometimes this expansion of consciousness can be truly
authentic. You’re not just on a bus with
Ken Kesey and The Merry Pranksters.
But when you’re having one epiphany after another, the
ever unfolding spiral of the Universe looks more like a repetitive circle and
you’re running around in while you talk and begin every sentence with “I just
realized” or “Recently I realized” or the most popular and by association most
destructive “I finally realized…”
I haven’t written anything in two months. I lie.
I have written some things: “tomatoes, potatoes, basil, mozzarella,
parsley, cilantro, oat bran (gotta keep regular – just because your mind is
constipated does not mean your digestive system should also suffer the same
fate), ginger tea, jasmine tea, fish (“God, I hope this time it’s actually wild-caught and I won’t be
eating baked potting soil”), cheese (but not too much because you want to avoid
that whole constipation problem), sour cream, organic chicken, organic ground
beef, milk, eggs, tuna, fruit, pasta, rice, cat food, weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal” (which in advance
you know that you will most likely not read the entire thing but it makes you
look both informed and cultured at
the cash register. The New York Times will reveal that you’re drinking Kool-Aid).
So now you know my grocery list and you can kind of extrapolate
what kind of recipes I make. You have
just written a grocery list and it was so easy and maybe even a little bit fun
so you think to yourself “hmm…maybe I should list my insights and see if I can
apply them.” But the list only
intensifies the problem because then you actually have to sit down and try to
apply the epiphanies into what we might call “the real life.” Just as the grocery list is only as good as
the trip to the grocery store, so is the insight list only as good as the
active change in habits.
The problem with not being able to write is not merely
practical but also existential. The
problem is fear. Fear of rejection. Fear of whether you’re saying something the “right
way.” Fear that nobody will read what
you wrote. My sense of Bosnian levity
does not permit me to believe in this Kierkegaardian, self-reflective
nonsense. To be sure, the Bosnian mind
reflects but it is also practical in the reflecting process. The Bosnian mind gets things done quickly
(including brooding) and moves on.
My sense of inherent melancholia welcomes the existential
dread because that also involves the creation of a comfortable and cozy and
warm fantasy that in order to be a
writer, you have to be melancholic. As
if I actually have to choose to have dread – it follows me no matter what.
When you’re trying to write a book, you compare your own
puny muscles and artistic inadequacies to the great writers of the past or
present. “Look how they write! Look how perfectly their sentences fit
together! If only I could do that!” Nevermind that everyone writes a shitty first
draft and that the real writing is rewriting.
Well, at least I tell myself this, because frankly, I don’t want to be confronted
by some artistic genius who sits down and writes a book in twelve days.
I don’t have any insights today – a rare occasion. And I don’t have any lists either. No quotes from other writers. I am alone.
Just with my own insight-less thoughts. And stillness. It’s a cloudy
day, November chill in the air – a time when dampness gets into your bones. Not particularly pleasant or fun but still
part of the life toil. The good thing is
that you don’t have to come up with any brilliant idea today, or try to save
the world. “There is nothing new under
the sun,” so you might as well just do your “thing” and try to enjoy it, even a
little bit.
Wait a second! Was
that an insight I just wrote?



2 comments:
I love this! Keep it up! And what *do* you make with those ingredients?
Excellent piece Dr. Lulu -- you learned little Tito Pioneer. :D I like your tone in this. Even though you're temporarily paralyzed by the dreaded writer's block, I sense more of an air of levity and joy in your writing since putting the philosophy career in the rear-view. I'm not sure how one studies philosophy and stays sane -- all those heavy thoughts about life's most existentially dreadful questions. I know I couldn't do that.
Speaking of Kierkegaardian dread, I have the tendency towards that occasionally. I tend to make things far more dire in my mind than what they are in reality. I think it's my Danish DNA. Sometimes the dark recesses of my mind are lit like a black-and-white Bergman film. Thankfully, like you, I also have the gift of moving on quickly from my funks. Like your grocery list comments, it's amazing how simple little things can help snap one out of those lows -- like a good meal, or simply a long night of deep sleep. Our minds tell us lies when we're tired, hungry and worn down.
So, eat and sleep well. That's what Dr. Mayrock orders. ;)
Post a Comment