You
don't hear many immigrant stories these days. Mostly, we hear about
policies in regards to illegal immigration. It would seem that if
you want to hear any stories about immigrants you have to dig deep
into the past of America, a time when people sailed on a ship, came
to Ellis Island, somehow changed their names, and then left to fend
for themselves.
But
this is not true. There are many immigrant stories still – of
people who came here, escaping totalitarian regimes or war. My life
is one of those stories.
I
was born in Bosnia-Herzegovina, and have spent my childhood there. I
was caught in the war. War began in April 1992, and I left Sarajevo
by the end of November 1992 in a convoy of women and children bound
for Croatia and finally for Czech Republic. I have lived in a
refugee camp in Czech Republic for almost four years. I desired so
much to come to America. And so I applied to enter the United
States. I was rejected. I appealed the decision and I was accepted.
And so I came to the United on May 15, 1996, just a few months shy
of my 17th birthday.
I
have repeated these facts so
many times when people ask me about my life. Like a tape or a record
– it's all there, ready for someone to either hit play or press the
stylus against the grooves of my life. But the sound of the record
is hollow and repetitive and muffled. The fullness of a 33 cannot be
heard.
In
between the chronological facts, there are details, nuances, genuine
human experiences, which have a face. Tied very closely to the
question and experience of memory is also a problem of identity. We
are all part of the human family, to be sure. But it is necessary to
know one's roots, to be firmly planted in one's tradition.
I
was born a Muslim and I remain a Muslim. But what is a Muslim in
America? But wait – I am getting ahead of myself! First, let me
ask this: what is a Muslim in Bosnia?
During
Communism, religion was suppressed in Yugoslavia. Despite many
European and American Marxists/Socialists who claim that ours was a
“Socialism with a Human Face,' people still went to prisons for not
being loyal to Tito. The use of language was also suppressed, in
which any reminders of Turkish and Bosniak words (that have been part
of the culture and identity for a very long time) were erased. If
you were caught using such words, you were reprimanded, as it
happened to me many times in school.
War,
which as I said began in 1992, has cut me off from my home, from my
family, from my language, and the history of the Bosnian people. I
feel locked out. My mind too is fragmented – filled with many
identities, although sometimes it feels like none at all. Something
in my soul calls out and gazes into the direction of Bosnia.
I
am between many worlds. Well, at least two. In America, I am faced
with the fact that that acts of violence and terrorism (in other
words, evil) are perpetrated by Muslims (but what kind are those and
how dare they call themselves Muslims?), and in Bosnia I am always
reminded of the significance and the inevitability of memory –
remembering those who have perished, the victims of genocide.
These
are difficult things to talk about, and one has to be entirely
honest, without one small hint of cliched expressions and colorful
and inauthentic acts of forgiveness. Spiritualism will not heal any
wounds and most certainly it is incapable of asking questions such
as, “what is the meaning of life after genocide?” or “why did I
survive?” or “how do you forgive and still seek justice?”
In
a book titled The Sunflower,
Simon Wiesenthal writes a story about a young Jew who is taken from a
concentration camp into a hospital. Next to him, heavily wounded, is
a Nazi soldier, who confesses that he participated in a burning of an
entire Jewish village. He asks the young Jew for an absolution.
Young Jew is conflicted. What is he to do? He decides to leave the
room, silently. Are we to do this? Again, I come back to the
tension between forgiveness and justice.
I
can hardly answer such a question in a short column such as this. Or
ever. I can only try to explore it, and with God, hope that I have
enough courage to “insert” the nuances of human condition in
between the lines of chronological facts.
No comments:
Post a Comment