![]() |
| Stari Most ("Old Bridge"), Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina |
I must say, thank goodness for things such as YouTube! I am seeing films I otherwise would not have
the opportunity of seeing, or would have to wait a very long time in order to
see it. So, that aside, I have seen a
Bosnian film called Na Putu (On the Path, 2010; the film can be seen
on YouTube, however, unfortunately it does not have subtitles for those who do
not speak Bosnian language), directed by Jasmila Žbanić (a young director,
whose work has been recognized in Europe, received many prestigious awards, and
some of the work has even made it across the pond, into this country I
presently inhabit).
Although, I plan to give a somewhat of a review (and summary
of the film), my main objective in this short piece is to address some of the
larger issues that concern the state of literature and its relation of the
so-called “multi-cultural” project, and also issues of Bosnian-Muslim
identity—post-Communism, post-war (that is, the 90s war, my war). Of course, it should be quite obvious that I
will not be able to actually resolve some of these issues in such a short essay
but I think, writing this will give me an opportunity to begin an intellectual
(and personal, since those two are always somehow intertwined, or at least they
should be) exploration of the issues stated above.
The film involves a young Bosnian Muslim couple, Luna and
Amar (perhaps my age, in their 30s), who seem to be living a decent, modern
life together. They are not married but
they do live together; they both work for a Bosnian airline (he at the control
tower, and she as a flight attendant).
We are also told that they have a “healthy” sex life because it seems
that it all they do once Luna comes back from her trips. The conflict begins when Amar is caught
drinking at work, and receives a suspension, with a possibility of returning to
work for the airline but not at the control tower (for obvious reasons).
By sheer accident, he runs into an old friend, a man who was
in the same platoon as Amar, during the war.
Memories of war bind them together.
Amar is surprised to see that his friend is now slightly different: he
has a long beard and a cap, which signifies that he is part of the Wahhabist
sect of Islam. There is a woman in the
car with his friend, who is completely covered, only her eyes are slightly
visible.
Somehow, Amar reconnects with his old friend, who tells him
that, after the war, he saw no meaning in life, and that he pretty much wanted
to kill himself. He was invited to come
into the Wahhabi community, and found peace that he did not know could possibly
exist. Slowly, Amar is persuaded to join
the Wahhabi community (although I use the word community very loosely here, it
is more of a “collective”), where men and women are separated, and they live a
tribal form of life. As this journey for
Amar progresses, Luna feels that she is losing him to this strange form of
Islam, something both of them did not grow up with. Amar begins to dress differently; he becomes
more prudent about sex; he reads a pamphlet given by the Wahhabis and wants
Luna to read it as well. “I just want to
be a good man,” pleads Amar, as he’s trying to convince Luna of his
choices. But Luna is unable to look at
this situation with maturity and gravity it deserves.
At a certain point, the film becomes a piece of an
ideological agenda in favor of Western hedonistic “values,” as it contrasts the
ideological agenda of the Wahhabis. It
goes too far: it gives us two extremes, and it is clear, which view the film
director is following. The film loses
any artistic value because it becomes a piece of “rhetoric,” that is, the
director participates in a persuasion, which has an element of religious fervor
as the Wahhabis presented in the film.
The film culminates in a possibility of Luna getting an abortion. And what am I supposed to think of that? That she is a free, independent, and a
Western woman?
It should be clear by now that I did not like the film. It has raised many questions for me, and for
that, I am grateful. Sometimes, it takes
something, which is the opposite of truth to lead us onto the right path (and
no pun intended here).
Issue 1: Art and
Ideology
What I have noticed about recent art output by new and fresh
Bosnian artists (whether novelists or filmmakers) is every time they create
something, they have one audience in mind: the Westerners (whether Western
Europe or the United States ). The Bosnian artist (and I mean, generally, of
course; there are still those of older generation who engage with their art in
a more fruitful manner) wants to desperately to prove to the West that yes,
indeed, we are normal, we are just
like you, and most certainly not at all like those Wahhbist Muslims. Now, granted I do not have anything against
separating ourselves from the Wahhabis since we are culturally and in the
approach to religion quite different.
But I do object to an almost apologetic attitude for our Bosnian-ness.
The art becomes an exercise in cultural surface: the use of
language, people’s mannerisms, food they eat, music they listen to or play, and
similar. I may use my hands when I am
trying to make a point, in the most Bosnian way, but there is more to me than
only the exteriority of my culture (which I do not deny and find quite beautiful). I also have interiority, and a spiritual life,
which asks questions of my own existence, mission in this life, and of
identity.
The Bosnian artist participates in the global multi-cultural
project and a novel or a film becomes a mere particularism (and not even an
interior particularism, unique to each human being) without any desire to
address the universal question of, for example, the meaning of war, the meaning
of suffering, evil, justice, or even a possibility of reconciliation. My generation of Bosnian young people and
artists wants to forget about the war, forget those memories, which are wounds
on our souls, and opts for a life of pleasures.
Issue 2: Religion and
Identity
The question tied to the notion of Bosnian art is also a
question of Bosnian Muslim identity. But
this is really never tackled in the film.
In fact, the film was quite anti-religious. I did not see anything wrong with Amar indeed
wanting to be a better man, wanting to have peace, and wanting to have some
kind of union with God. The question
that arises is why should he choose such a sect of Islam, which has no ties to
a Bosnian sense of identity, which is a mere ideology, which keeps women caged? Why did not director make a different choice:
a true exploration of philosophical and theological
questions in the context of genocide in Bosnia? Yes, it was a theology which was missing, and
which Islam has plenty of! I thought to
myself: volumes upon volumes of clear philosophical and theological Islamic
thought (on the nature of God, on free will, on theodicy, etc.), and what the
Bosnian artist does is minimize the importance of religion in human life.
Again, this notion of apologizing to the West for being a
Bosnian and Muslim, for which I do
not intend to apologize, and whose premise (since it is faulty) I simply do not
accept. I do not find the West superior
to me, a small “Eastern European Muslim Slav.”
I am proud of my Bosnian-ness, and I refuse to submit to any culture. The only reality I am willing to submit to is
God. The only reality I am willing to be
a servant of is truth. Alliances with
one’s culture are significant; we love our countries, we are patriotic, but we
also have to be willing to criticize when we see things become “sour.” (Think of the famous 1978 Harvard commencement
speech by Solzhenitsyn). I do not see
why a woman should be veiled from head to toe just as I do not see why a woman
should have an abortion.
What path should we
choose?
Questions of any identity (and in this case Bosnian Muslim
identity) are always connected to the metaphysics of identity. Literature or great art cannot become what it ought to become, cannot
reach a pinnacle of its ontology without an excursion into philosophy, and by
implication, into theology. But this
requires an effort and patience, and perhaps the current Bosnian artist does
not have those two qualities, and he (or in the case of the film, she) would
rather be caught up, full force, in the hedonistic vortex of Zeitgeist than “roll up the sleeves” and
get to work.
So, what is then a
Bosnian Muslim? As a Bosnian-American, a
traveler between at least two
cultures, I am confronted with this question.
I do not have the answer yet, but I do know that we are not the
Wahhabists, I do know that we do not practice any form of fundamentalism, I do
know that we are not part of Islamist ideology.
Bosnia
is one of those places, which is hard to define: a mysterious land
of Jews , Christians and Muslims,
whose path has always been somehow between East and West, whose soil conceals
more things than illuminates, and whose destiny has always been accompanied
with quiet rumbling and uncertainty.
But even having said that, why should I not attempt to
answer this question of Bosnian identity, or at least, address it, as I see it,
through my own eyes and mind? One voice does matter, even if it’s a voice of
minority or opposition. The more I think
about the Bosnian identity, or perhaps any identity, I am convinced that
somehow it is all tied to the Levinasian concept of the Other, to the notion of
human exteriority and interiority, and to our face-to-face relations. But the exploration of Levinasian Other and otherness as it relates to above discussed Bosnian identity will
have to be addressed later, in a larger format, and it is a far bigger question
than what I have discussed in this short essay.

1 comment:
Thank you for your review - the film does look quite interesting (even if it ultimately becomes a cartoon/morality play, the kinds of cartoons and morality plays a culture presents are important). I ran across your work on Facebook via a mutual friend - Jean-Francois Garneau. I teach on Eastern Europe and the Balkans is an area of special fascination for me.
Post a Comment