Just yesterday, I read an article on the Internet about distraction. People being constantly distracted by all kinds of techno gadgets and not being able to concentrate, let alone to finish reading a novel, short story or even a short article. None of this is new. The article was speaking against distractions, and I must admit, I have read countless articles that could very easily be part of a collection titled “Distracted: a revolt against technology” or something like that.
I agree that there is something wrong with not being able to read an article or a novel, to have an attention span of a fruit fly or to discuss very private matters in public via mobile phones. However, it seems to me that we have to stop with constant pointing of the problem. We have to start coming up with some hopeful solutions.
Technology and Internet can be very helpful (for example, I am able to instantly “publish” my thoughts thanks to such invention as ‘blog’) but they cannot be treated as a doorway to our soul and heart. We will not be able to explore philosophical and theological questions by typing in “meaning of life” in one of the search engines.
So far, all of the above mentioned issues seem self-evident and quite obvious, including to those that are participating in the process of distraction. Where do we go from here? I don’t claim to have all the answers. However, I do think that the fundamental problem lays within the fact that “wisdom” and “information” is in today’s world inter-changeable. This is a crucial mistake. The pursuit of wisdom begins in one’s heart and mind and it is something that takes one’s whole lifetime. This requires patience with one’s intellectual and spiritual failures and recognition when a barren thought becomes fruitful. There is no formula to this (thank God!) and we should have trust in both faith and reason.
Another aspect has to do with wonder. Distractions have been occurring precisely because we have forgotten how to wonder at simplicity of life. I’d rather notice lines on someone’s face or hard working hands and veins that bulge than look at a computerized image of a human being. I’d rather listen to the sound of a 1971 Saab96 engine or look at almost perfect blue feathers of a blue jay or a white cat, seated at the entrance of a house, glancing at me with pride, while still acknowledging my presence.
The truth is, metaphor is everywhere. We just have to have an open mind and mostly, an open heart. The return to the reality and the physicality of the world around us (like, taking a big fistful of soil and feeling its softness and potential) will offer us a first step out of the inauthenticity of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment